Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Groggy Mornings and Different Work Styles

I keep waking up with eyes bloodshot, face poofy, and groggy as all hell. NO, I haven't been hungover every morning. I've been getting 8 hours of sleep too. I guess it's the 9 hour time difference and the fact that I've kept the blinds closed so it's pitch black when my alarm goes off. I've never been a morning person, but this is kinda ridiculous. Maybe I just need to sleep in this weekend.

I find it interesting to compare the different work styles between the New York staff, our London team member, and my West Coast work style. The East Coast team has a very distinct style, even in their coding, that is consistent across all staff, and the West Coast has more variety amongst our staff in the way we code and get things done. Maybe I feel this way because the New Yorkers have all been working together for a few weeks/months already and I'm the new guy. At the same time, there's more to it than that. It's difficult to explain, and I'm not happy with my sad attempt to do so.

We actually work 12 hour days so I don't get to see much during the week except for when we go to dinner, which have all been pretty good. Our hotel, The Marriott, is walking distance to the main square and Charles bridge, so I think once the weekend rolls around I'll be wandering and exploring quite a bit. But from what I have seen, when you allow yourself to rise above and ignore all the tourists and graffiti at street level, Prague just has so much Eastern European charm.

The weather has been great, partly cloudy in the 70's. People said it was hotter last week. I agree with the rest of the team when they say they don't want to be here when it starts getting cold. Being the only Californian, I'm the biggest weather wimp now.

FYI, I talked to my seniors and sounds like realistically, I'll be here till October (at least). I mention this only because EVERYONE has asked me this question.

Apologies for not posting any pictures yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment